Monday, June 4, 2012

Louder isn't better

What is it about today's sound technicians? Are they all deaf? I went to see the touring show Quidam, one of the Cirque du Soleil productions, and had a horrible time. Oh, the show was fantastic. Unbelievable contortions and athleticism. But I couldn't applaud because I had my fingers in my ears. The show was so loud that I kid you not the concrete beneath my feet was vibrating. Imagine what it was doing to all those ear drums. A show like this should come with a warning from the surgeon general's office: Warning. This show could be hazardous to your health. Don't worry. I'll never see another Cirque du Soleil. And I may never go to the Van Andel Arena again, either. My ears hurt for hours afterwards.

1 comment:

  1. That's so unfortunate!! I often find myself wondering if sound guys are deaf, or in the case of musicals, if they realize that there are lyrics we're supposed to be hearing over the music. *sigh* If you are ever in Vegas, though, I would highly recommend that you see Cirque's show Ka at the MGM. It remains one of the most beautiful, enthralling, exquisite theatrical experiences of my life.

    ReplyDelete