Thursday, June 9, 2011

A little green with envy?






My friends keep complaining that I only interview handsome hunks, but today my subject was a real ogre. A big fat, green, grouch. That's right. I talked to Shrek this morning, but not just any Shrek, the Eric Petersen Shrek who is visiting Grand Rapids later this month. The same Eric Petersen I used to cover at Augusta's Barn Theatre, back when he was in the ensemble for "Bat Boy." I feel like I saw him grow up. It's where he got his equity card after playing the romantic lead in "The Fantasticks" in 2004. It's also where he met his wife, Lisa Marie Morabito. They returned in 2007 as Equity guest artists to do "The Producers" (He was the Nazi playwright, she the sexy Swedish secretary) and were back a few years ago when he was the Elvis-impersonator Pharoah in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat." He said he's very glad The Barn is back in business this year after closing for one season. "It's such a special place, not just for the patrons but for all the young actors cutting their theater teeth. It's a one-of-a-kind place." Sorta sentimental for an ogre, don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment